Sunday, July 23, 2006

Hey, I'm a Mac and I'm a PC.

Are you a PC user? a Mac user? or both? Just recently, I have purchased a white Macbook and became both a PC and Mac user. What do I think? I absolutely love it and it was worth every single penny for me.

Don't be scared to try out a Mac. It's surprisingly user friendly and guess what? The new Macs with Intel Core Duo are capable running Windows by use of Apple's Boot Camp (beta and free) or third-party's Parallel (trial, $80).

I'll basically give you my guide and view on buying/switching to a Mac from a PC. My thought? "Once you buy a Mac, You'll never go back." =]

Buying a Mac?
There are many Mac's that you can buy. The new ones that have emerged are Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac, and Mac mini. You can always go along with old ibooks, powerbooks, and G5, but I will recommend you going with the new intel processor based computers. You can always wait for the Mac Pros which will be intel-based desktop that's planned to replace the G5. Soon or later, Apple will begin to put in Intel Core Duo 2 compared to regular Intel Core Duo's packed in the Macs right now.



Mac minis are very cheap. The basic models from Apple are all under $1000. I say go with Mac minis only if you just want a new cheap Apple computer and already have a monitor. Although it's slower than all other new Macs and it lacks a powerful video card (integrated graphic), don't underestimate it. This small box is still quick with 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo processor for its price. I have seen a lot of people using this computer as a media center. Hooking it up to a huge flat screens and using it to record tv shows, movies, etc:

My favorite setup is the picture above. Just looks neat and perfect. All the wires, harddrive, etc are hidden by the screen. You can check out more at 123Macmini.com.


Now the Macbook Pro. The all time high-end notebook by Apple. This machine is powerful. You can purchase it with a 15.4 in or 17 in screen. Since it comes with a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo and a 256mb ATI Radeon x1600 video card, it's perfect for games, video edits, photoshop, and more. If you're just a regular computer user that just browse the internet, exchange email sor instant messages, this laptop is not for you. You'll be wasting you're money and its potential. This is for advanced computer users who actually work daily with editing videos, photos, etc. As a note, not all programs such as photoshop, adobe premiere, etc are not out with universal binary. In other words, since the programs are not yet designed to run on intel-based computers, it must be run using Rosetta which slows down a lot of processes such as rendering videos. The universal binary programs (designed for intel-based computers) are due out sometime in Q1 2007.


The iMac is one of the most prized computers of Apple. It's just a 17-in or 20-in monitor with mouse and keyboard. That's it. No desktop body on the side or anything. Just plug it in and run it. I see iMacs as non-portable Macbook Pros. They're specifications are somewhat similar. Although the basic models lack a 512mb memory stick, slightly lower model graphic card and processor, I think it's better to buy an iMac and save about $1000. If you really need a powerful computer with portability, then go with the Macbook Pro. However, if portability is not required, then go with the iMac and save some money.


Macbook: If you're just a regular computer user, then this is the perfect laptop for you. This is the most economic laptop that Apple offers as of today. The lowest basic model is $1,099. I'll go into specific detail of the three basic models that are out for Macbook. After the lowest model, the 2nd model goes for $1,299. Basically, the 2nd model offers 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo compared to 1.83GHz and a DVD+/- RW compared to just DVD-RW on the 1st model. Now the 3rd model that Apple offers is a black Macbook for $1,499. Don't get dragged into buying this model for its sexy color. The 3rd model is $200 dollars more compared to the 2nd model. What's the difference? A big whopping 20GB more on harddrive and .............. the color black. If you're room is overflowing with money then go for the black one, but if you're trying to save even a dollar, don't pay $200 more for just color black. 1GB cost a dollar, so basically 20GB extra costs $20. If you want more space, you can just spend that $200 for an external harddrive.

For myself, I purchased my laptop at the UCSD bookstore. If you're going to buy a Mac, make sure to buy it under educational store. You save a lot of money. At my UCSD bookstore, they offered the black model for $1,399. Compared to the regular Apple retail store, it's $100 cheaper. However, they had a customized white Macbook with 512 mb more ram (total 1GB ram), 20GB more harddrive space (total 100GB) for $30 more than the black model. I bought mine for $1,424.

Also, make sure to take advantage of the available promotions. The most significant promotion that's available right now is the back-to-school. Buy any qualifying Mac and you get a free ipod or $179 rebate.

What's Applecare? It's an extended warranty program that extends the coverage of you're item to 3 years. I don't think this is really necessary for desktops such as the iMac, but if you're purchasing a portable computer like the Macbook or the Macbook Pro then I recommend you to purchase it. It's very expensive at the Apple store ($250??), but check out your school's store. I got mine for $83 dollars. I got $100 off for buying it with my Macbook.

Remember, ALL Macs come with Mac OS X Tiger, Front Row, Apple Remote, iLife, and iSight camera (except the Mac mini).

Basically, Front Row (picture above) is like the Windows Media Center. Apple remote is seen above in the picture with the Mac mini. iLife basically consist of iPhoto, iCal, and more. If you want, you can purchased iWork, a Mac version of Microsoft Office.

Using a Mac?
Mac's basically work the same way. They also have two clicks just like the PC, but in order to activate the 2nd click, you have to hold ctrl and then click. All the hotkeys that were used in Windows like copying (ctrl+c) and pasting (ctrl+v) work the same way except that ctrl is replaced with the command key (the one with a picture of apple). So copying and pasting becomes command key+c and command key +v. Alt+tab, used to switch between programs on Windows, is also changed to command key + tab. If you want to know more, you can always google and find them out. I will point out some interesting keys.
  • Hold shift as you do animated effects (like the genie effect when minimizing/maximizing) - slow motion.
  • ctrl+alt+command key+8 - negative.
  • shit+ctrl+3 - screen shot.
Programs?
Mac OS X Tiger comes with a lot of programs that are also seen on Windows. They have iChat similar to AIM. I don't know about you, but I find it kind of inconvenient to use iChat. If you want a program that integrates AIM, Google Talk, Msn, and more and act more like Dead Aim (tabs) then try out Adium. Also make sure to download Divx Player or VLC player to expand the video compatibility. You should also download Flip4Mac in order to play Windows Media files including online videos. You can run Flip4Mac with Rosetta or wait for the release universal binary.

The most useful program that I use is Quicksilver. It's basically a launcher program that will save you a whole lot of time. It's default command is ctrl+space which will open up a command window and you can type any program name, file name, website URL, etc and it'll launch it.

As show above, you can even browse artists, songs, etc for itunes function. Make sure to try out this program if you have purchased a Mac.

Accessories?
I looked around for Macbook covers/sleeves and I haven't been too satisfied with a lot of them. There are a lot of laptop bags, but I haven't seen a perfect sleeve. For now, I'm using a laptop bag I received for free with purchase. You can check out this blog for more laptop bags. I did purchase a protective pack for the Macbook. Have you seen those Stained Macbooks?


Marware provides palm-rest covers and a keyboard cover/displayer cleaner. It's priced to just about $20, but I definitely think it's necessary to keep your laptop clean. Don't want those stains like other people have suffered through.

Final Thought?
Ever since I got my Macbook, I have only used my PC for excel (till I get a copy of Microsoft Office Mac) and to play some games like winning eleven. Macbook is perfect for me to carry around school and doing homework or just browsing the internet. I think one of the best advice I have gotten about buying a computer is:

Buy a computer that will make you money.

In other words for students, buy a computer that will help you with your school work. Don't spend too much or too little on buying a perfect computer for you. Buy only what's necessary for you. I know for myself, I always want to get the top of the line. Looking at all the top of the line processors, video cards, etc makes me drool, but those are not going to help me. Games are just going to ruin my academic life. So if you're looking for a computer, make a decision like me. Be smart and buy what's only necessary.

Hope my guide has changed your view on the Macs somehow or helped you on your use of your new Mac. If you have any other questions, just email me at ontheside.blog@gmail.com.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buy only what's necessary for you. I know for myself, I always want to get the top of the line. Looking at all the top of the line processors, video cards, etc makes me drool, but those are not going to help me. Games are just going to ruin my academic life.

hahahaha.

TL said...

holy moly.. that was a large post.

Tony said...

Wowie..you done covered lotsa stuff and good too. BTW, Flip4Mac will release the UB version this week!

Anonymous said...

byeong.. i've come to realize that without me, your favoritest mills friend, you have too much time on your hands. when're you coming back!

Anonymous said...

nice article...but on a totally random note, is that Mario on the background of the the Quicksilver screen?

Anonymous said...

hey thanks for the article, i'm going to a white macbook 2ghz 1gbram soon

which winning eleven are you playing, 9? i wasnt sure in the macbook could support it

my gmail is blee0507@gmail.com
id appreciate it if you could specify for me

thanks

Anonymous said...

special request for a portable music player post, you rock stars.

Anonymous said...

crazy post. i finally read it.

i think after actually having read this...it makes me want a macbook even more. i want the sexy black one, but i'm so pooorrrrr =(